Impressive writing is a skill mandatory for success in any profession .it is a necessity for any walk of life viz, getting admissions in a school/college, getting a good job or to achieve success in career. These skills help a person to shine among the crowd. Although writing skill is a natural flair, it can be inculcated and improved upon in. In IELTS writing skills/abilities are important to get a good score.
There are 4 modules in this exam ,speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing. The candidate has to show his/her abilities in all these modules. No matter how ever tough writing module is ,this skill can be polished with regular practice. Candidates can surely improve their writing skills by following useful tips:
1. Test version of IELTS does not matter , if the candidate is clear as of what is expected of him/her. For example ,in writing a letter be sure about whether it is a formal or informal letter, as the start and end in both types differ. In writing an essay where the candidate is supposed to give opinion, make sure to write down both sides of issue for and against.
2. Before starting the writing, making an outline. It always helps a candidate to remain focused. A good candidate with the help of an outline can move on to vocabulary in a better way and concentrate on the sentence structure.Include all the important points in the outline before elaborating them in paragraphs.
3. While Writing an opinion essay ,a candidate must write the strongest ideas in the opening paragraphs, weakest ideas in middle and stronger ones in the concluding paragraphs to convey a strong impact.
4. Always present the ideas in a simple and clear manner . IELTS is not about testing a person’s hold over topic but it is to see his/her abilities in the English language. It is to judge the persons hold over language.
5. Do not write long essays, stick to the words as per instructions given. Focus more on Language like write complex sentences, use strong vocabulary to impress the reader .
6. Avoid repetition of words. Use synonyms instead. Write clear, concise but cohesively.
7. Proof reading of writing is mandatory to check for any spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, do editing where ever necessary.
8. Impressive writing is a skill that can be improved by daily practice. Before the exam write daily and request your teacher to give you feedback .
9. One good way to improve writing skills is to use transitional devices popularly known as connectives like meanwhile, therefore and hereafter. A person can use connectives in combining two ideas or sentences to ensure a smooth flow of sentences.
Some quick tips to get a good score in Writing
- Analyse each task properly
- Make notes.
- Highlight the important words to stay focused.
- Include only one idea in one paragraph.
- Plan your answers properly.
- Avoid repetition of words.
- Stays focused on the topic asked do not include unnecessary ideas.
- Learn time management.
- Allot only 20 minutes to task 1 and 40 minutes to task 2.
- Complete task 2 first as it is more important than task 1.
- For task 1 candidate has to write a minimum of 150 words and 250 words for task 2.
- Make sure to write answers completely but avoid writing too much.
- Be sure about the spelling, grammar and vocabulary.
- Do not use informal language.
- Write answers of your own in easy and simple language.
- Check your tasks to remove any mistakes.